A fairly easy dinner this evening.
- 2 hot italian sausages (these were from the whole foods butcher counter)
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes in adobo sauce
- herbs (dried oregano, cumin, dried parsley, bay leaf)
- sub rolls, toasted under broiler
I browned the sausages in a little oil. Once they were browned, I removed them from the heat. The chopped onions and garlic were put in the hot skillet and cooked over medium heat until the onions were translucent. I added the can of tomatoes and the dried herbs. Mixed everything up and then I added back the sausages to the pan. I added a little water (1/4 to 1/3 of a cup), covered the pan and braised the sausages over low heat for about 30 minutes. I then reduced the sauce until it was thick enough to go on rolls.
To serve, I toasted the rolls under the broiler. Each sausage was cut in half, and topped with a couple spoonfuls of the tomato onion mix. Then I topped with some grated parmesan cheese.
We had these with store bought cole slaw from whole foods.
Dinner was very, very good this evening. And, it was just cupboard food. Yum.